We’ll answer all your Contactless Visa Debit Card questions simply and clearly, so you stay in the know.
- What is Contactless?
- What is the benefit of using Contactless?
- What will a Contactless transaction look like on my statement?
- When will a Contactless transaction appear on my account?
- My child has received a Contactless Visa Debit Card – can they use this card to go overdrawn on their account?
- I’ve lost/damaged my Visa Debit Card – will it be replaced with a Contactless Card?
- How will the change of my card number affect my Open24 access? Will it update automatically?
- Does stamp duty apply to my Contactless Visa Debit Card?
Rollout of new cards
- I’m an existing customer, when will I get my new Contactless card?
- What if I haven’t used my existing card and it is no longer active?
- I want a Contactless card immediately; can I request to receive it sooner?
- I’m a new customer, when will I receive my new Contactless card?
- How will this affect me as an existing customer?
- What do I have to do to get my Contactless Visa Debit Card?
- I’m going away on holidays – can I get my new Visa Debit Card before I go away?
- I’ve received my card but it won’t work.
- What are the daily limits on my card?
- Do Contactless transactions count towards your daily limit of 20 Point of Sale transactions or is there a separate daily limit for the number of contactless transactions? If so, what is the limit?
Using your Card
- Where can I use my Contactless Visa Debit Card?
- Can I use my Contactless card outside the Republic of Ireland?
- Will my new Contactless Visa Debit Card operate in the same way as my existing card?
- I make recurring payments with my existing Visa Debit Card – will this be affected?
- Will I be able to keep the same PIN?
- Can I get Cashback with my Contactless Visa Debit Card?
- I only use my card at ATM’s - I’m not interested in using it for shopping.
- Will there be additional fees on the new Contactless Visa Debit Card?
- Can I personalise my Contactless Visa Debit card?
- I currently have a personalised card. Will my new Contactless Visa Debit Card have my personalised image?
- Will I need to re-register for ‘Verified by Visa’?
- Do you have to use contactless for transactions below €30 or can you choose to use Chip and PIN?
- Can I use my card for Contactless transactions if my PIN is blocked?
- Does my Visa Debit Card have a cheque guarantee facility?
- Can I issue cheques on my account?
- How do I activate my Contactless Visa Debit Card?
- Can I activate my card at any ATM in the Republic of Ireland or just those at a branch?
- What happens once I activate my card?
- What if I don’t activate my Contactless Visa Debit Card?
- What happens if I’m abroad for a period of time and I can’t activate my card?
- What is 'Verified by Visa'? How will it help me?
- Can I register for the ‘Verified by Visa’ service immediately?
- What is a CVV2 Number?
- What extra protection does Visa Debit offer me?
- I’m concerned that my card can be used without entering a PIN.
- Am I liable for any fraudulent Contactless transactions made if my card is swiped?
- I use my card for Internet Banking - will I need a new registration number?
Contactless is a quick, easy and secure way to pay for items using your permanent tsb Visa Debit Card. Just hold your Visa Debit Card against the card reader – it only takes a second as you don’t need to input your PIN.
The benefit of using Contactless is that it is much quicker to pay for items under €30 as you simply Tap & Go. You don’t need to dip/enter/place your card into a terminal or input your PIN number.
Convenience for you
You can use your Contactless Visa Debit Card to make purchases online, over the phone and in stores. In addition, many retailers in Ireland offer Cashback when you use your Visa Debit Card to pay for purchases, meaning you can access cash from your current account without having to queue at an ATM. There’s no additional charge for availing of Cashback (please note you can only request Cashback if you pay for something using your PIN).
Added security for your shopping
You can shop securely online with your Contactless Visa Debit Card. Your new card includes a CVV2 number. This is the last three digits that appear on the back of your card just above the signature panel. You will be asked to quote this number when paying for goods and services over the phone or online.
Your card can also be registered to use the Verified by Visa service. This offers additional protection when making online purchases at participating retailers. See further details under the Security section below.
Added protection for your money
If you’ve paid for goods with your Contactless Visa Debit Card and they show up damaged or worse still, not at all, then we may be able to help you recover your money in the event that you have not received a satisfactory resolution from the retailer.
Contactless transactions will appear similar to other transactions with a prefix of CNC e.g. CNC Shop Name 05/03 €11.43.
Unlike Point of Sale and ATM transactions, a Contactless transaction may not appear immediately in your pending transactions on Open24 Online and Phone Banking or be debited immediately from your account. It's therefore important you keep track of your Contactless usage to ensure you don’t go overdrawn on your account.
My child has received a Contactless Visa Debit Card – can they use this card to go overdrawn on their account?
This card will operate in the same way as their existing card just with the added functionality of Contactless. Children’s accounts (over 12 years of age) cannot go overdrawn. If there are insufficient funds in the account, the transaction will be declined.
Any lost, stolen or damaged cards issued after 18th March 2015 will be Contactless cards.
It will update automatically so you will not see any change.
Yes, Government stamp duty of €5 per year applies to all Contactless Visa Debit Cards.
I’m an existing customer, when will I get my new Contactless card?
Contactless cards will roll out on a phased basis by card sequence number to all existing customers with an active card commencing April 2015 and finishing in July 2015.
Any lost, stolen or damaged cards will be issued after 18th March 2015.
If your card is inactive (you haven’t used it in the last 12 months), we will send you a letter advising that your card is due for renewal but that you are not due to receive a new Contactless Debit card.
You can however activate your existing card within 2 months of this letter by either withdrawing from an ATM or doing a POS (point of sale) transaction which will mean that you’ll get a new Contactless card.
Unfortunately it is not possible to request your new card sooner unless your card has been lost, stolen or it is damaged. Please note that a fee may apply for this.
All new or re-issued cards will have Contactless functionality from 18th March 2015.
You will receive a new card accompanied by a letter and flyer which advises what Contactless is and how you can activate your card.
You will have 2 months to activate the card (please see activation section on how to activate your card) and your existing card will continue to work until you activate your new card (for a maximum of 2 months). Once you’ve activated your card, it will work the same as your existing card with the added benefit of being able to make Contactless transactions.
You don’t need to do anything, we will begin issuing new Contactless cards automatically beginning in April and finishing in July.
Your new card will issue automatically however your existing card will continue to work until you activate your new card for a period of 2 months.
You’ll need to activate your Contactless Visa Debit Card before you use it. Find out how to activate your card
The daily limits on the Visa Debit Card are:
- Cash withdrawal - €700 per day
- Debit Card Transaction - €1,500 per transaction (max of €2,500 within a 24 hour period)
- Cashback - €100 per Debit Card Transaction (max of €300 within a 24 hour period)
- Contactless - You can pay for items up to €30 using Contactless. You will need to use your Visa Debit Card in an ATM or POS (point of sale) with your PIN after every 3 consecutive Contactless transactions or when you spend €45 in order to make additional Contactless transactions.
Please refer to the Terms & Conditions for further details.
Do Contactless transactions count towards your daily limit of 20 Point of Sale transactions or is there a separate daily limit for the number of contactless transactions? If so, what is the limit?
Yes they do and your daily limits will remain the same. You will have the option to pay through Contactless up to a maximum of €30 per transaction within the existing limits. (Please note that the €30 Contactless limit is a limit set by Visa in Ireland).
Using your Card
You can use Contactless wherever you see the Contactless symbol in shops and restaurants.
Yes, Contactless can be used outside the Republic of Ireland where the Contactless symbol is displayed.
Yes, your new card will operate in the same way as previously but with the added benefit of being able to use the Contactless functionality.
Some of these may be affected as although your card number will remain unchanged, your CVV numbers and expiry date will change e.g. you will need to update your card details with companies such as PayPal, Amazon etc.
Yes, your existing PIN will remain the same.
No, unfortunately cashback is not available for Contactless transactions. You can continue to request cashback subject to daily limits from participating retailers for POS (point of sale) transactions.
That’s okay. If you change your mind and want to use it for shopping in the future, you’ll be able to avail of Contactless functionality.
Using Contactless to pay for purchases will be treated the same as POS (point of sale), there is no additional fee.
Yes, you can continue to personalise your Contactless Visa Debit card by going online.
I currently have a personalised card. Will my new Contactless Visa Debit Card have my personalised image?
If your card was personalised in the last two years, you will receive your new card with your personalised image. If your image is older than 2 years, unfortunately you will need to provide it to us again.
No, your existing details will transfer to your new card.
No, you don’t have to use Contactless, you can choose to pay using Chip & PIN.
Yes. In the event that your card is blocked, you can still make a maximum of 3 Contactless transactions (up to €30 each) or spend up to €45. After this, you will need to reset your PIN in order to make additional transactions either Contactless or Chip and PIN.
No, a cheque guarantee facility is not available on your Visa Debit Card.
Yes, you can issue cheques on your account. However, these cheques can't be used in conjunction with a cheque guarantee number by a retailer to guarantee payment as your Visa Debit Card doesn't offer a cheque guarantee facility.
It’s easy to activate your Contactless Visa Debit Card. Just do any one of the following:
- Make a cash withdrawal at any ATM in the Republic of Ireland.
- Select the “Contactless Services” option from the main menu and press “Contactless Enable” at any permanent tsb ATM.
- Activate your new card online through www.open24.ie or by calling 1890 500 212 (+353 1 212 4890 from abroad).
If you choose option 3, you must also activate the Contactless functionality by making a cash withdrawal at any ATM in the Republic of Ireland or by selecting the “Contactless Services” option from the main menu and pressing "Contactless Enable" at any permanent tsb ATM.
Please note that your old debit card will expire 60 days after your new Contactless card is issued. You should therefore activate your new Contactless card straight away. Once you activate your Contactless card your old debit card will no longer work.
You can activate at any ATM in the Republic of Ireland, it does not need to be part of a branch.
Once you activate your card, you will be able to start tapping wherever you see the Contactless symbol for items up to €30.
Your old debit card will expire 60 days after your new Contactless card is issued. If you don’t activate your new Contactless card within this time frame, your old debit card will expire and you’ll no longer be able to use the card to pay for purchases or withdraw cash from ATMs.
That’s okay. You can activate it once you return home (as long as it’s within 2 months) just check the date that your existing card does not expire during this time.
Verified by Visa is an online security service where cardholders can register their card and select a password that can be used when making purchases online with some retailers. The password is linked to the card and acts like an online signature when you are making a payment, so no one else can use your card on the participating site.
This is the 3 digit number on the back of your card along the signature panel. This acts as an extra security feature which you’ll be asked for when you shop online or over the phone.
If you make purchases with your Visa Debit Card and they show up damaged or not at all, then we may be able to help you recover your money in the event that you have not received a satisfactory resolution from the retailer.
Even though the Contactless Visa Debit Card lets you pay for things up to €30 without entering a PIN, you can rest assured that your money is protected.
Contactless Visa Debit cards are just as secure as traditional Chip and PIN payments. The cards use the same secure technology as any other Visa Chip and PIN card and include the latest security features set by the payment card industry.
Also, as a security measure, you can only make a maximum of 3 Contactless transactions in a row or spend up to €45. After that, you’ll have to enter your PIN to carry out another transaction (even if it’s for under €30).
Occasionally, you’ll also be asked to enter your PIN for what would normally be a Contactless transaction, just for added security. And, if your card is ever lost or stolen, you’ll still be covered by permanent tsb’s Visa Debit Card terms and conditions of use.
Your liability for fraudulent transactions is not affected by this new card. You should always keep your card safe and report any lost or stolen cards to us immediately.
No, your existing details will remain the same.