We’re happy to provide car finance to cover the cost of your imported car as well as the VRT. So before you make the journey to get your new car, make sure to get your loan sorted with us first. You can apply online, by phone or in branch. 

What is VRT?

Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) is a tax that must be paid at the time that a vehicle is registered in Ireland. The VRT payment will depend on the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue.

The OMSP is the price Revenue considers the vehicle to be worth if sold in Ireland and the vehicle’s VRT liability is calculated as a percentage of the OMSP. This percentage varies, depending on the car’s CO2 emissions.

See the Revenue Vehicle Registration Online Enquiry System for an estimate on the VRT due.

Steps for importing a UK car into Ireland

1. Arrange your car finance

We’re happy to provide car finance to cover the cost of your car as well as the VRT. So if you’re looking to import a car from the UK, we’re happy to help with your finance needs.

If you’re already a permanent tsb customer you can apply for a loan quickly and easily online. If approved you have 90 days to drawn down your funds, giving you ample time to search for your new car and get it imported from the UK. 

2. Inform the British authorities

You’ll get a V5C document, the equivalent of our Vehicle Registration Certificate, once ownership is transferred to you. Complete the V5C/4 “Notification of Permanent Export” section of the document and send it the address below to inform the British authorities that you’re exporting the car. 

UK’s Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Swansea, SA99 1BD.

See the UK’s Driver & Vehicle Licencing Agency site for more info. 

3. Arrange to bring the car back to Ireland

Get it delivered by a specialised service provider
Many companies specialise in helping people import cars from the UK. The average cost to bring a car back is around €400-€600, which may work out cheaper and less hassle than doing it yourself.

Collect it yourself
If travelling to Great Britain, you’ll need to return by ferry. Unless your car is near the coast, it’ll probably be more economical for you to fly over to the airport that’s closest to your car’s location and book the ferry home. 

4. Book an inspection with the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) 

You must book an appointment with the NCTS within 7 days of your car's arrival into Ireland in order to register your car and pay the VRT. You must complete the registration process within 30 days, otherwise you’ll pay additional VRT.

Revenue requires the following documentation for the VRT inspection:

  • Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration, as appropriate. If not included in the above, confirmation of the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture
  • Proof of your identity, e.g. passport or a driver’s licence
  • Proof of your name and address, e.g. a utility bill or bank statement
  • The appropriate Vehicle Purchase Details Form, i.e. Form VRTVPD 1 or VRTVPD2
  • An invoice clearly showing the date you purchased the car
  • Proof of your Personal Public Service Number (PPSN), e.g. a payslip, P60 or any documentation issued by Revenue which includes your PPS number, name and address
  • Satisfactory evidence of the date your vehicle entered Ireland. This can include shipping details or travel documents
  • If a VRT exemption is being claimed, the exemption notification issued by Revenue

If all is in order the NCTS will collect the VRT charge on behalf of Revenue and issue you with a receipt. The NCTS will also issue you with an automatically generated registration number for your car and form RF100, which you’ll need when applying to pay motor tax.

5. New registration plates

Once you’ve registered your car and paid the appropriate VRT, a registration number will be assigned to your car. You must display the registration number within 3 days. You can buy registration plates on-site at many NCT centres and other outlets nationwide. 

6. Arrange car insurance and tax

To pay car tax, you’ll need to insure your car and have your insurance details to hand. You can pay your car tax online at motortax.ie. After you’ve paid your motor tax, a Vehicle Registration Certificate will be issued to you by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.


If you’re importing a car or other vehicle, you’ll need to do 4 things before you can drive your vehicle in Ireland:

  • Pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) (unless you are exempt)
  • Get new vehicle registration plates
  • Get motor insurance
  • Pay motor tax


Did you know?

Last year second-hand car imports rose over 29% to 93,454!

More info?

If you need more info check out:

Car loan calculator

How much would you like to borrow?

How much would you like to pay?

Loan Amount Loan Amount Change the loan amount to see what the monthly repayment would be. Close

Please fill in all the fields above to get started!

Credit Cards

Our ICE Visa Credit Card really is a more flexible way to pay, whether you're shopping online or on the high street you'll get all the great benefits.

Help and Support

Need help? Our Help and Support section is full of useful information.

Savings Accounts

If you want to save regularly, then we have a savings account for you. Learn more about your saving options.

Back to top
Page loading
Alternate Text